Friday, July 22, 2011

The New Sublime Album

First off, it is a Sublime with Rome album...................................................................

I feel like I am required to review this album because it is supposed to be a Surf Rock blog. Everyone knows Sublime is the biggest and most influential surf rock band to ever exist. Some new bands might say this isn't the case, but they are just lying to themselves. Without Sublime there would be no genre. I love Sublime.

That being said, I didn't even want to listen to this album. Sublime without Bradley is like Journey without Steve Perry. Just because they found some random Filipino guy who sounds a lot like him does not mean they are still Journey! It is the same way with Sublime. Rome is good. I have nothing against him, but HE IS NOT BRADLEY! So change your name or something! COME ON!

This bastardized version of Sublime is clearly just a marketing ploy from the record label to make money. If they had any real faith in the group they would have let them create a new name, still promoted the fact that it is 2 of the original members of Sublime, and then let them start putting out new albums. This vote of no confidence from the record label is transparent. I guess it worked though because I did actually listen to the album for the sole reason that they have the Sublime tag.

As for what I actually thought about it: Shmeh.

I probably wouldn't be so critical if they had just changed the name. I did kind of like this jam with stoner rapper Whiz Khalifa.
Sublime With Rome - Can You Feel It (Feat. Wiz Khalifa) by DJ DECK 5

Be Easy,
Phil

1 comment:

  1. Yup yup felt the same way whenever Blind Melon did the same exact thing.

    ReplyDelete